Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ways to Protect environment

When I go to Jisoo's school from Dubai, I turn right at exit 63 on the Emrates road. On the right side of the road there is a landfill. It's as great as a mountain. Lot's of plastic bags fly here and there on a windy day. I thought the trash was thrown by us!

Koreans are doing separate garbage collection when they throw away garbage. Seperate garbage collection needs a little labor, time and it's a little uncomfortable but we can reduce waste. We can recycle some of it. So it is economical.

In my house we have a lot of garbage daily. Most of it is food waste. If I throw the remaining food, I feel it's a waste of money. So I put them in a fridge but I dont want to eat unfresh food. It will be thrown away a few days later. Also, some of the old vegetables get rotten in fridge. They will be thrown away.

My mother is buddhist. When I was young, while I was eating my mother told me. "when people die, they will go to Hades. When they are going Hades, they have to eat all their left over food". "Therefore, do not waste food ". I am in trouble since I have thrown away a lot of food waste.

I think protecting our environment starts from home. First of all, I must reduce food waste.
Next, I should check the frige weekly and buy required vegetables only. Then, I should cook the required quantity to prevent food waste.

The food waste will continue to build up. It will cause a decreased area of landfill. Who wants landfill in our neighborhood? Who wants landfill near our kids‘ schools?

Finally, if our small efforts are gathered, we can hand over a clean environment to our descendants.







4 comments:

  1. Misook, when you cook alot don't throw away throw at my place. I like Korean food 555

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, gabage collection is annoying little bit but my feel not guilty. I live in U.A.E my feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MisooK, I like how you cook, don't throw away the food. Remember what your mother told you. I'm sure if you don't bring me that food that you don't want to eat,after you will have to eat a lot. ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that picuture of fridge yours? Very well organized!! I can't throw anything... This is my problem. So I'm eating a lot and put weight on. This is not good eather....

    ReplyDelete